Friday, March 27, 2009

Showtime

Yes, I grew it.

I got this phalaenopsis about five years ago on the half-price, half-dead table. You have to agree, she is grateful I took her home with me. Last year, it had 19 flowers on two spikes and I showed it at the spring show at the Krohn. This year, it only has one spike, but more flowers than ever.

Today, it has 20 flowers and 9 buds. It is on the way to Columbus for the Central Ohio show. It's not eligible for any big awards because I don't know it's name or parentage. Who cares?



SLC Vallezac 'Magic Fire' is small and deep red in color. The photo doesn't quite capture the color. I got this division about 1 1/2 years ago. Last summer it bloomed with 2 flowers. This time it bloomed with 4 flowers. I look forward to when the plant grows some more and lives up to its potential.

Dime stores have great plants too!

I grew this one too. I bought it last year at Meijers or Home depot or something. I'm not a snob about my sources...they're all pretty to me. I've learned to be careful though about looking past the flower and checking the health of the plant itself. This one looks pretty healthy.

2 comments:

Westside News said...

Very nice, Margaret.

rednk-n-eurp said...

You have to include the plant's story when you present it. Good eye.