Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Lenten Rose



Hellebore is also known as Lenten Rose and Christmas Rose. I have several but none have bloomed for me this early until this year. Most of mine bloom late February and into March.






A flash of color caught my eye yesterday when I was filling birdfeeders and I was very surprised and pleased to find this flower blooming near my patio. This little guy is mostly yellow which is unusual for Lenten Rose. I just planted it this year and since it was a seedling, I had no expectation that it would actually be yellow. It sure brightened my day!



The outside maroon color is much more typical for hellebore. I like the two toned effect it gives. The streaks in the face are good too.


The bonus for hellebore is the deer won't touch them! It's just since they bloom in winter, it's easy to miss them.

1 comment:

Westside News said...

Congratulations, Margaret. At first I thought this was an inside plant. Blooming outside now is really quite remarkable.