Thursday, September 6, 2007

Ruby throat

Usually the raccoons knock down any hummingbird feeders on my deck. Last week I saw a hummingbird on the flowers in my hanging basket of Mandavilla (it is barely in the picture but you can see one rose-red flower. As a result this annual is already on my plant list for next year. It has been so hot and dry here. The little guys are really enjoying the extra hydration at the feeders. I've been filling them a lot more often this summer. Dean need not worry about competition from me when it comes to hummingbirds. I still only have a few birds at a time, but they are just about constant and I am delighted by them. Since there are no good trees nearby, this fellow has figured out that he can perch on my wind chime about 2 feet from the feeder and claim it as his own. I suspect he thinks he also owns the feeder on the front porch.

2 comments:

rednk-n-eurp said...

Now that is really cool. I bet you're glad he sat down for the shot.

Number Three of Eight said...

Yes they don't sit that close often. I took through the window.