Monday, March 3, 2008

Blue Ribbon Affair

The local orchid show this past weekend was fun. I helped out Friday and Saturday and I brought two plants in for our club display. Since we are the host club, we had a lot of plants and we set up two displays. I received a blue ribbon for the white "moth" orchid (phalaenopsis) which had 2 spikes, 19 flowers, and 4 buds to go. It only competed against other white moth orchids.


I received a second place for my orange-red "Blazing Treat." I had 2 spikes...I saw a relative of the cultivar that had maybe 20 spikes...


My friend Toni was awarded a blue ribbon and trophy for best of class for this beauty (at the top with the ribbon). the flowers were at least 5 inches across.

5 comments:

rednk-n-eurp said...

Was that at Krohns? Congrats on the ribbons. Looks like your orchid room might get a little more crowded. : )

Number Three of Eight said...

Yes it was at the Krohn. We are there spring and fall. I love the photo of you guys at the Krohn in Spring when sam looked like uncle festus. They have that display up now...daffodils, hyacinths and easter lilies.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! They look great!! My orchid at work has been blooming since June last year. My orchid at home is not doing anything right now.
Monika

Anonymous said...

your orchids are beautiful! congratulations - almost makes me want to start getting back to plants - but then sara says "mama hold me" and I think not yet!
michelle

Number Three of Eight said...

Michelle,

I'm an empty nester. You know the old poem. babies won't keep. Margt