Saturday, March 22, 2008

Its a boy - name contest

Not really a contest but Sandi is holding out for just the right name.

As you know, Olivia and I have been taking riding lessons since last June. For a long time, I was riding Sassy a 19 year old pregnant mare. Every week she got bigger and it was harder to tighten her girth (or find one big enough for her). I rode her up until she went on maternity leave a couple months ago, I had to get used to riding a skinny horse again.

It seemed like a long wait to meet him...but I can't imagine how mama felt being pregnant that long. Anyway...he's a beauty !!!
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v

He is very dark brown...almost black. He has a faint star on his forehead but is otherwise unmarked. Sandi is about my height so you can see how tall he is. He is all legs. He is less than a week old in this snap. Mama is compelety unconcerned about sharing her colt with visitors. He was born toothless but you can already see his teeth emerging at the gum line. His coat is so soft.

He still is un=named. Sandi loves hearing suggestions and she has gotten a bunch. Mama is named Sassy for a reason. All her foals have had punky attitudes. The front runners for names right now are "spindles" and "felix". He will have a more formal name for the show ring. Let me or Olivia know if you have a brainstorm.

4 comments:

payhay said...

hershey

rednk-n-eurp said...

how bout 'rail' as in 'riding a rail?'

Anonymous said...

Gracie says Percy

Number Three of Eight said...

Yes,Thanks.

I already offered up Hershey. I like it. I will mention Rail and Percy on my lesson Monday.

If you want to come see him or watch me a Olivia flop around on horses let me know. Oh wait, I'm the one that flops...Livvy is cool on a horse! It's 20 minutes south of Florence KY.

There should be another foal by now. Sandi brought her other pregnant mare over (it makes sense to have the mamas in the same place) I had not met 'Willow' before, but she is a sweetie...The new foal will also need a name.

I feel connected to this little colt (Felix, Spindles, Hersey, whatever). His momma has helped me learn to ride...

Jay, do you want to risk introducing your girls to horses? I was hooked by the age of 3 or 4. No explaining it.

They would love it. And I'm sure we could get them a walk around on a horse...